Water Resources Authority (WRA) is a state corporation established under Section 11 of the Water Act, 2016. it is mandated through delegated Authority on behalf of the National government to safeguard the right to clean water by ensuring that there is proper regulation of the management and use of water resources, in order to ensure sufficient water for everyone- now and in the future.However, the Authority has been in existence for 12 years following its establishment under the Water Act, 2002 as Water Resources Management Authority (WRMA).
Our approach as an organization in safe guarding the resource is entrenched in the Country’s Big 4 development agenda, Vision 2030 strategic objective on water and sanitation and the SDG 6 all these agenda’s and objectives aim to increase water resources availability for multipurpose use but also improve the quality and sustainability of water resources.
A global leader in Water Resources Regulation and Management
To effectively regulate and mange water resources for sustainable development
Accounting For Every Drop!
Functions of the Authority
The Authority is vested with various functions and powers as provided under Sections 12 and 13 of the Water Act, 2016. These are as follows:
- Formulate and enforce standards, procedures and regulations for the management and use of water resources and flood mitigation.
- Regulate the management and use of water resources
- Enforce regulations made under Water Act 2016
- Receive water permit applications for water abstraction, water use and recharge and determine, issue, vary water permits; and enforce the conditions of these permits
- Collect water permit fees and water use charges
- Determine and set water permit fees and water use charges
- Provide information and advice to the Cabinet Secretary for formulation of policy on national water resources management, water storage and flood control measures
- Coordinate with other regional, national and international bodies for the better regulation of the management and use of water resources; and
- Advise the Cabinet Secretary generally on the management and use of water resources.